Development and Communications Manager
Ohio River Foundation (ORF) is looking for a dynamic, creative professional to join our team full-time as a Development and Communications Manager (DCM).
Ohio River Foundation (ORF) is a regional conservation non-profit located in Cincinnati, OH. Since 2000, ORF has worked to protect and improve the water quality and ecology of the Ohio River watershed through environmental education, conservation and advocacy activities.
Position Summary: This position will be responsible for planning, organizing, implementing and managing fundraising and external communications activities for ORF. The DCM must be comfortable setting up systems and juggling multiple projects, while creatively connecting the dots between fundraising, communications, and programming. This is a key moment of growth for ORF. We plan to expand our base of individual giving, major gifts, and corporate and foundation partners. The DCM leads the fundraising with support from the Executive Director, Board, and the small but mighty programs team. We are looking for someone ready for the exciting challenge of contributing their energy to ORF and helping grow revenue to amplify our mission impact.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Identify, prepare, solicit, and submit inquiries, applications, proposals, and reports for corporate and foundation funding in partnership with ORF staff, and develop and monitor the grants calendar.
- Work in partnership with ORF staff to engage, cultivate, and steward existing, new, and prospective donors.
- Organize and oversee all fundraising and cultivation events and campaigns for donors.
- Lead event sponsor solicitations and acquisition efforts.Create prospect research reports on funders and project updates for key donors of specific programs.
- Manage ORF’s Adopt-a-Mussel program and its donors, including follow up in a timely manner with a goal to streamline and automate the program.
- Help with managing special events.
- Develop and maintain a bank of ‘one-pagers’ for fundable programs that the team can use to share with prospects.
- Develop and implement marketing, outreach and communication plans and strategies for public relations, media relations, social media presence, online giving, digital communications, messaging, storytelling and branding.
- Develop compelling content for all communications, including but not limited to emails, social media, letter templates, appeals, surveys, newsletters, invitations, etc. (working with appropriate program team members for editing and approval).
- Create, maintain, and edit webpages that live on ORF websites and platforms and recommend upgrades and improvements.
- Produce and send all e-communications for ORF and oversee monthly renewal emails to donors, and newsletters, and event emails.
- Keep track of communication metrics and other relevant statistics, and make recommendations for future improved communication to relevant staff.
- Manage the process of creating and finalizing mailings by working with program staff to oversee the timeline, criteria and final product.
- Maintain the ORF Communications Calendar, consistently coordinating with ORF staff regarding communication scheduling.
- Manage the creation of ORF’s Annual Report.
- Produce and issue press releases and news articles with staff input and assistance.
Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in non-profit category, marketing or communications with a minimum of three (3) years non-profit experience, including demonstrated success fundraising, leading campaigns, donor relations, fundraising, and event planning experience.
- Must possess excellent communication skills, and precise and compelling writing skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows software and applications is required, especially Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency in all G-suite products, WordPress, and bulk email services (Mailchimp, Constant Contact, etc.).
- Experience with Canva preferred.
- Experience working with fundraising software is a plus.
- HTML coding skills helpful but not necessary.
- Grant writing success is a plus.
- Possess an interest and passion for ORF’s mission.
- Experience with crowdfunding and peer-to-peer fundraising platforms is a plus.
- Candidate should be deadline-oriented, able to prioritize multiple complex responsibilities while maintaining a high level of attention to detail and performance.
- Strong interpersonal skills are required, as well as experience with multi-stakeholder communications and working within a team.
- Demonstrate good judgment, tact, diplomacy, and ability to guard confidentiality.
- Skilled in the use of: Adobe software including InDesign and Photoshop.
- Ability to work independently and unsupervised.
- This job is primarily remote. Occasional site meetings require access to transportation.
- Must be available to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- The applicant may be exposed to outside weather conditions for events and ORF activities which may require their assistance. Applicant must be able to lift/move/carry up to 25 pounds without assistance.
Compensation package: Salary range $40,000 – $50,000. Benefits: affordable medical, dental & vision coverage; 4 weeks paid time off.
To apply for this position: Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received, with the intent of filling the position as soon as possible with the best candidate.
Ohio River Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and does not and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, genetic information, military or veteran status, and/or any other characteristic or protected status.